Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Movie Review: Fool's Gold

Stars: 4 out of 5
Pros: Acting brings the characters to life
Cons: Predictable but fun story; could have been funnier
The Bottom Line:
The strong characters
Make this movie fun despite
Predictable plot




"Ain't No Fool Like a Gold Fool."

Okay, let's be honest right up front. Fool's Gold is mindless, empty entertainment. It is predictable. It isn't as funny as it tries to be. And yet I found it fun and endearing.

Benjamin "Finn" Finnegan (Matthew McConaughey) is a beach bum with an interest in treasure hunts. He's also hardly responsible, which is why he sets his boat on fire and sinks it not too long after we meet him.

Tess Finnegan (Kate Hudson) has had enough. She's taken a job aboard millionaire Nigel Honeycutt's (Donald Sutherland) yacht. And she's divorcing Finn.

Finn's latest quest is the Queen's Dowry, a treasure lost almost 300 years ago. In fact, he's found a piece of it. Now all he needs is financial backing. His irresponsibility has left his last backer rather mad at him. So he decides to get Nigel's help, completely unaware that Nigel is Tess's new boss.

Unfortunately, the shipwreck is somewhere around the island owned by dangerous rapper Bigg Bunny (Kevin Hart). As in Finn's last investor. Can they find the treasure without Bigg getting his hands on it? Can Finn win Tess back in the process?

Like I said, this movie isn't going to win any points for originality. The details were the only thing I didn't guess from the previews. Yet I found myself drawn into the story and caring for the characters.

The movie tries to be a comedy action movie. I didn't find the movie as funny as I hoped it would be, and I wasn't alone. Many in the theater with me laughed even less then I did. There were some funny parts, however. Alexis Dziena, who played Nigel's daughter Gemma, got the best bits. Gemma is a beautiful, vein, and dumb character, and she was absolutely funny. The other characters do get some funny parts, but any time she was on the screen, I was guaranteed a laugh.

As an action movie, it falls a little short, too. The biggest action sequence happens at the end. Until then, most of the action is played for laughs. Even in the climax, with the stakes raised to life and death, the action isn't as serious as it should be. And the action is over the top. But then again, that's true in most action films.

Then there are the explanation scenes. There is one long scene near the beginning that is supposed to explain how Tess and Finn figured out where the treasure was. I didn't follow a word of it, and I really did try. The scene wasn't a complete loss because Gemma was in it, but that was all that saved it.

What saved the movie for me were the characters. I really did care for all of them. I could understand Tess's frustrations with Finn, but I thought Finn was lovable as he was. Even Nigel and Gemma were enjoyable.

Of course, the credit for that goes to the actors. Everyone makes their characters completely human. Kate Hudson and Matthew McConaughey are quite obviously having fun. They have great chemistry, too. Donald Sutherland's Nigel loses much of his starch by the time the movie is over. Alexis Dziena is perfect as Gemma. I can't imagine anyone else making that part work so well. Even the villain and his henchmen are great.

It may make me a fool, but I enjoyed Fool's Gold. Even so, I wouldn't say this is a movie you need to rush out and watch. But if you can watch it cheaply, you'll enjoy doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. In order to combat spam, I moderate most comments. I'll get to your comment as soon as I can.